DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital is DMCâ��s largest hospital, offering a comprehensive heart center, cancer care, gerontology, emergency medicine, obstetrics/gynecology and cosmetic services. Sinai-Graceâ��s joint replacement program features a revolutionary minimally invasive knee and hip replacement surgery that attracts patients from all over the country. Sinai-Grace operates more than 21 outpatient care sites and ambulatory surgery centers throughout Wayne and Oakland Counties and is one of 10 hospitals in the nation to be awarded a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grant to help set the standards of cardiac care for hospitals and physicians throughout the nation.
Under general supervision coordinates the daily activities and computer functions in the boarding office. Establishes effective close working relationships with physician and their department personnel. Develops and maintains all aspects of the scheduling process to ensure optimal utilization of surgical services. Establishes and maintains computer procedures for scheduling cases. Finalizes all aspects of scheduling. Trains and orients employees to area of responsibility and changes in work environment. Assigns work, establishes work schedules and reviews work of subordinate personnel.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Coordinates the Operating Room (OR) case schedule by scheduling operative procedures, estimating time needed by surgeon, determining surgical personnel availability, collecting admitting and special equipment information, determining equipment needed for the procedure, ensuring equipment availability and utilizing the approved physician's privileges and special procedure lists when scheduling.
2. Coordinates cases being added and canceled; rearranges schedule as needed and verifies/checks for conflicts.
3. Reviews utilization of physician's O.R. block time to ensure unused blocks may be utilized by other physicians. Reports findings to O.R. leadership to maximize O.R. utilization.
4. Reviews operating room schedule and discusses problems or concerns with the appropriate personnel and collectively resolves any problems.
5. Adjusts schedule as necessary to accommodate changes and/or cancellations and notifies appropriate department of adjustments. Coordinates and adjusts schedule to accommodate surgeons.
6. Utilizes hospital computer information systems to enter data for scheduling. Monitors interface activity to ensure synchronization of dual computerized schedules.
7. Checks all patient information for completeness and accuracy. Finalizes O.R. schedule for the following day and distributes to appropriate departments.
8. Establishes working relationship with physicians and department personnel. Consults with various departments to maximize O.R. utilization and minimize downtime.
9. Develops and implements all policies and procedures of boarding process in conjunction with management to ensure optimal utilization for surgical suites.
10. Maintains records regarding surgical boarding; assists in maintenance of other records as assigned.
11. Functions as backup for Coordinator O.R. Information Systems.
12. May perform a variety of additional duties such as typing, preparing reports, surgical boarding, answering telephones and monitoring/routing fax messages in a timely manner.
13. Orders and maintains inventory of expendable office supplies.
14. Completes all mandatory continuing education requirements within the review year. Keeps current on changes in hospital policies an procedures.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Up to one year additional technical or specialty training, preferred.
3. Two or more years related experience in a hospital or surgical office setting including computer, surgical case scheduling and leadership/oversight experience.
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.